Sunday, August 17, 2014

If you pay attention, you will see God...

Um... guys. THE CHURCH IS TRUE!

Today has been AMAZING. I have never felt that God was more merciful, more understanding, more forgiving, and more aware of me personally, than I have today.

Last night, Tamara very kindly offered to get up early to drive me to the train station this morning and help me get my ticket so I could get to church. It's literally like a 3-5 minute drive from the house and maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk which is AWESOME. So we got my ticket squared away and she gave me instructions about which stop to get off at etc.

The train comes and the only reason I knew it was my train is because it was headed in the right direction, and I knew my train was the 8:07am. I was still having some doubts though, because it said St. Gallen on and I was headed to Kreuzlingen - Seepark. UGH. So I'm sitting, sitting, sitting, waiting to hear my stop on the intercom announcement thingy. I'm on the verge of a panic attack... Before the train had even arrived for me to jump on, I'd said a prayer in my heart. "Please God, let me get to church. Don't let me get lost. Just let me make it to church." I have never looked so forward to going to church in my life. I needed to be there. I needed the reassurance and consistency that the church provides. So, we're at another stop, and I know I'm getting close to where I have to get off, but I'm still second-guessing myself and I'm on the verge of an intense freak-out, when I see a young man, dressed in a suit, carrying a scripture case. I have NEVER been so happy to see a man in his Sunday best. I knew, "that guy HAS to be Mormon." I calmed down a little. I ALMOST got up from my seat to go ask him if he WAS in fact LDS on his way to church, but the idea that he might not speak English and I'd just look like a lunatic was too intimidating. So I just settled with keeping an eye to see where he got off the train. We passed another station and the next one, I was fairly sure was my stop... "Please, God, let him get off at the next stop"... one, so that I would be certain that WAS my stop, and two, so I could follow him to the church building, since I wasn't sure of its exact location. He got up. YES! "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER!" I was totally in stalker mode, but I didn't even care, cause I was in the right place, and I knew Heavenly Father was helping me get to where I needed to be. The church building is literally RIGHT by the train stop. Two other young men hopped off the train so I just followed these three dudes right up to the church.

It took all my self control not to start sobbing when I saw "Kirsche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage." I couldn't stop myself from tearing up though. Finally, something completely familiar! Even with a language barrier. Even with cultural differences. Home. Totally, completely home. I walked in and a missionary (one of the guys who had just gotten off the train) greeted me and quickly realized I did not speak a lick of German haha. He asked me where I was from (in English), I responded that I was American and he asked what part of the U.S. I was from. "Utah." "Oh! My companion is from Sandy, Utah!" and around the corner came the guy I'd been stalking! :D!!!! He was almost as happy to see a fellow American, especially one from close to home, as I'd been to find a Mormon missionary on the train (I hadn't realized he was a missionary before, I missed his tag earlier). His name is Elder Annan, he's been here 2 weeks, so he totally gets where I'm at with German haha. I told him about seeing him on the train and that he was an answer to my prayer. His companion, Elder Strauss, is a native (from Germany I believe...). I also met Elder Sanft and his companion Elder Sardoni. Elder Sanft is from California, so he was happy to meet a California native *high-five status* I talked with them in the entry way while they greeted the members and EACH AND EVERY ONE of the members that came by, greeted me as well. Everyone was SO friendly and welcoming and inviting. WOW. I was literally blown away at their kindness. Many of them spoke English so that was also very comforting to me, but even the ones who didn't were very eager to say hello and make me feel welcome. In fact, one of the members who seemed most excited by my presence was a sweet lady who could barely speak any English at all. She was so very kind to me though. We've decided to help each other out - she'll help me with German, and I'll help her with English :) haha. The Bishop also introduced himself and asked me about myself. I'm actually supposed to go to a ward in Frauenfeld (I knew this, but Tamara had told me about this building and showed it to me on the way to her sister's so I thought I'd go here my first week at least since it was easier and somewhat familiar) but he said it is much easier to get to this building from the town I live in than the other one. To get to the church in Frauenfeld I guess you have to get on a train, then get off, onto a bus etc... YIKES. haha. But they don't seem to have a problem letting me crash their meetings instead :) Hopefully they can find my membership records cause I think the YSA ward I was in already sent them away...

Before going in for Sacrament meeting, Elder Strauss invited me to sit by him and he would translate for me. He had to help prepare and bless the Sacrament first so Elder Sanft let me sit by him and he translated what he could for me until the Sacrament had been passed and Elder Strauss could take over. So, many people probably don't know this, but singing the hymns is probably my favorite part of Sacrament meeting. If I can't sing the hymns, it TOTALLY bums me out. I was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to participate because you know... I thought maybe I should pull out my iPad and sing them in English, or just hum. But I didn't. I sang in German. I'm sure my pronunciation was atrocious, but I KNEW these hymns. I tried my best, and I know that's all that mattered to the people, but more importantly, I know that God knows even though my understanding is lacking at this point, the feeling and testimony behind this imperfect attempt was sincere. And it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be; I just tried to copy the people next to me as best I could haha. One of the hymns was even "I Stand All Amazed" - except in German haha. The word "wunderbar" has never been sweeter or more sacred. AH! And to top it all off, the entire meeting was about trials and finding gratitude amidst our trials - things I have struggled with for years. Since my brother died actually. I've never heard these topics spoken about in more loving words or in a way that pierced my soul so. Apparently all I had to do was fly to Switzerland to make sense of it all, not necessarily in my mind, but in my spirit. If that makes any sense whatsoever to anyone reading this...

After Sacrament meeting Elder Sanft introduced me to one of the members, Daisy is her name I believe, who speaks Spanish! AH! :D A language I'm familiar with! She was an absolute delight. Almost as soon as she learned I was new and spoke Spanish, was she inviting me to have dinner with her and her family sometime! OH MY GOSH. The sweetest!

After speaking with a few others, I headed to Sunday school and Elder Strauss said he could translate for me again if I wanted. I told him I didn't want to bug him, but he assured me it wasn't a problem and he appreciated the chance to practice his English. Fine by me dude. Fine by me. So he translated again during Sunday school, which was about Elijah (one of my favorite people from the scriptures). P.S. I said the opening prayer in Sunday school! Someone asked me, and said I could do it in English, so I agreed. I'm willing! Just let me speak a language I know and we're good! haha. Anyway, after class Elder Strauss told me where to go for Relief Society haha. Poor guy. I'm not always so helpless I promise! He was very nice about it, and didn't seem to mind, thankfully. I thought about asking the missionaries for a contact number, in case I need a Priesthood blessing at some point, but... I was getting self-conscious about how needy I must have seemed haha.

The Relief Society president is a doll, from South Africa (totally mistook her and her husband's accents for Australian accents at first). She asked me if I'd introduce myself a little and got one of the other girls (Larissa) to translate for me - not only my little introduction to everyone, but for me during the lesson. She and her sister Sandra are SO nice. Their family practically makes up the entire ward so it seems (and to call it a ward is a bit of a stretch. Also, I thought our church buildings in Utah were small. This building is TINY!)

After church I asked Elder Annan if he knew when the next train to go back was... he didn't. And I totally gave him crap about it. "How long have you been here?" "2 weeks..." "2 weeks! I've been here since Wednesday! I have an excuse! But you've been here for 2 WEEKS!" "Yeah, but I just follow Elder Strauss around! I don't know anything! I just follow him!" haha so I asked Elder Strauss when he showed up again, and he told me I had about 20 minutes. Then he asked me if I wanted their contact number (thank you again Heavenly Father) in case of anything. I gratefully accepted and said it would be great in case I need a blessing or something.

I went to say goodbye and thank-you to the Relief Society president, and she walked with me to the train stop and waited with me. Holy cow. To say this ward goes above and beyond is a HUGE understatement. Good grief. Everyone back home, we need to STEP IT UP. Seriously. If everyone felt like I did today when they came to church, no one would be inactive.

I got off the train in my town, and I got a little lost trying to find the way back to the house (why didn't I pay closer attention in the car!?) I walked up and down the same street about 3 times trying to figure out where I needed to go, or what I was going to do... I finally sat down and I remembered walking past a church on my walk the other night... If I could find the church, I could find my way home. You can read into THAT symbolism all you want. Problem was, the only church I could see, I didn't recognize... so I walked down the street again and I just knew it was the wrong way, so I turned around to go back, yet again, and I looked over to my left, and I caught a glimpse of the church, and in front of me was a little pathway that went under a tunnel, which Tamara had mentioned a tunnel when she was trying to explain how to walk to the train station yesterday... After finding the church, it was pretty easy to recognize the street I had taken my walk on, and from there I could easily find the way home. God is awesome, and He is TOTALLY taking care of me. When you're trying to do the right thing, He's gonna have your back. Always. 

Later on in the afternoon, Peter's parents stopped by for a visit and then we all went for a walk down by the lake. Here's some pictures: 
Old house from 1459
bleh. haha
Oh hi Germany! :) 
beautiful Lake Constance aka "Bodensee"
cute girl! :)
Peter, Svenja, Tamara

xoxo,
     Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. I could not be any happier since I read your experience in church. I remember when your mother and I attended a sacrament meeting when we were in Switzerland and about how kind and friendly the members were. I am so relieved to feel your sweet spirit in your writing, keep the excellent communication going. Love, Dad P.S. my first response was under the name Anonymous because I do not know what to use, there are 6 or more choices and I do not have a clue what to do. I don't even know if you got my first response. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca! I loved all of this! I am so happy for you! Your experience sounds awesome. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete